Teeth Whitening and ICON (white spot treatment)
Tooth whitening is an effective and efficient way to lighten the appearance of natural teeth without removing the any tooth surface, such as the enamel.
Icon is a revolutionary treatment that can improve the appearance of white spots or a mottled appearance of teeth with no drilling.
This type of whitening treatment has been found to be the safest and most effective way of whitening your teeth. This is carried out by the patient at home, following specific instructions from the dentist or dental hygienic therapist. The treatment involves having dental impressions (moulds) taken and a special tray is made specifically for the patient. Hydrogen peroxide or Carbamide peroxide gel is applied to the tray, with the patient wearing the tray for a specific length of time.
The treatment can take between 2-6 weeks depending on the colour of the teeth at the beginning of the treatment. Some colour staining of the teeth may take longer than 6 weeks.
Home whitening is a good treatment option for the most patients, especially patients with darker stains on the enamel.
(White Spot Treatment)
White spots can be caused by many issues such as:
* Decalcification of the enamel – this is the loss of minerals from the enamel. This can occur due to due to poor cleaning Wearing braces can increase decalcification due to the difficulty in brushing under and around the brackets. Dry mouth may also cause areas of decalcification.
* Fluorosis -Consuming too much fluoride as a child when the permanent teeth are being formed can lead to fluorosis, resulting in discolouration or enamel spots.
In the past, the only way to treat teeth with white lesions was to cover these up with composite bonding, crowns or veneers. These types of treatments require the removal or destruction of healthy tooth material and are not favoured by modern dentists.
- Now we are able to offer a permanent treatment called ICON which can restore the natural colour of your tooth with no need to drilling.
- This minimally invasive technique uses a process of infiltration to blend the white spots in with the rest of the tooth.
- Treat single teeth or the whole mouth.
- You are still able to lighten your teeth with teeth whitening at any time.
- from £295
Safety of Tooth Whitening
The research shows that tooth whitening is safe.
A suitably trained dental professional such as a dentist, dental hygienist or dental therapist can discuss and provide safe and appropriate options for treatment based on their knowledge of the patient’s oral health and their individual therapeutic needs.
How tooth whitening works?
Dentists prescribe tooth whitening gels that contain either hydrogen peroxide or carbamide peroxide. These substances break down into oxygen and water. The oxygen travels through the enamel (outer layer of the tooth) into the dentine (middle layer of the tooth) where the oxygen cleanses out the impurities that cause the tooth to appear discoloured, this cleansing action creates a ‘lighter’ appearance.
Before tooth whitening treatment is carried out ?
The dentist should carry out a full examination of your mouth, checking your teeth for any signs of decay, broken teeth or fillings. The health of your gums should be assessed, dental radiographs (x-rays) maybe necessary to detect decay or abscesses. The soft tissues such as tongue cheeks, lips and palate should also be examined to ensure they are healthy.
Once the examination is complete the dentist should record the shade of teeth and then discuss the most appropriate treatment that will achieve the desired result.
A plan outlining the recommended treatment should be presented, including the fees. You should also be given the opportunity to ask questions relating to the planned treatment.
How to top up?
If the treatment is carried out correctly the colour of the teeth once the treatment is complete, should remain the same for at least 18 – 24 months.
Topping up should be carried out under the guidance of a dentist using the same type of gel used during the initial treatment.
We are strongly advise you to purchase your topping up gel from us to ensure you have CE certified product and a correct dose. 3ml of 6% is £25. We are only able to sell it to our own patients.
What about managing sensitivity?
Sensitivity during treatment affects at least 50% of patients. The sensitivity can be anything from a mild awareness of your teeth to shooting pains. Using various de-sensitizing products as recommended by a dental professional sensitivity can be successfully managed so that treatment can be completed.
What is the cost of treatment?
Fees for Home whitening kit is about £250.
Price included consultation fee, impression, custom made whitening trays x 2 arches, sensitive toothpaste, 2 weeks supply of whitening gel and review appointment.
In-surgery/Power Whitening is often more expensive than home whitening treatments. Ask us for more details.
We will be able to provide patients with a written treatment plan detailing treatment recommendations and the fees involved before the treatment commences.
Something to know
- Tooth whitening treatment is not effective on Crowns, bridges, dentures. The hydrogen or carbamide peroxide is only effective on natural teeth.
- Home whitening kits available over the counter and teeth whitening treatments at beauty salons are usually less expensive than professional tooth whitening at a dental practice, however not always assessed for safety, increasing the risk of damage to the gums and teeth. The acidic nature of these gels can also be harmful.
- In the UK and Europe, tooth whitening products sold over the counter must not contain or release more than 0.1% hydrogen peroxide, this strength has little impact on whitening teeth.
- It is illegal for non dental prefessionals to perform tooth whitening
What You Need to Know About Teeth Whitening Appointments
Initial consultation for tooth whitening usually is at an examination appointment
Impression appointment for 15min. – to construct custom whitening trays specifically for you then pay 50% of the fee.
Fitting appointment for 15 min. – Ready to pick up your whitening trays in a few days. We will give you instructions and home whitening material (2 weeks of treatment). Record the starting shade and photos taken then pay the remaining balance.
Review appointment (complimentary)
Usually after one week to check on the progress. Final photos taken when treatment is finished.